Monday, September 7, 2009

A Dozen Free Mac OSX Applications I Couldn’t Live Without -part 2


FormulatePro – Free PDF-Editor
For me this little pdf-overlay-writer was a true revelation:
Intentially made by Andrew de los Reyes to create overlay text and graphics on pdf-documents. As the creators site states it is really great to fill in forms etc, but I use it for a lot more.
In my job I receive a lot of pdf documents with price estimates etc. When I accept an offer I have to send the signed version through mail as proof. The contractor then has to send this document with his invoice.
Before I got to know FormulatePro I always printed the estimate signed it manually, added the date and job number, made a scan and then mailed it to the contractor.
No need to tell that this isn’t a very productive way to handle this kind of workflow.
In came FormulatePro… Now I just open the pdf place a transparent stamp with my signature in it and add the current date and the right reference.
Then all I have to do is to print it as a pdf and mail it.
At first I was thinking to buy Adobe’s Acrobat, which is without any doubt a very decent piece of software, but this small robust application is just all I need for the moment.
I even use it to edit pdf files that need some last-minute changes. I made a white image in Photoshop and use it as a mask to cover any unwanted information in the pdf.

The Main window is very basic and has just a zoom (in and out) function and a customization icon with which you can add a Next Page and Previous Page button.
When you opened a pdf-document you have six tools to edit it.
You can write text, draw rectangles and circles or just draw with the freeform tool. It also has a function to place check-marks (very handy for filling out forms)
The arrow tool lets you select an resize edited text and shapes you created/imported.



To download this application, just visit the developer’s code.google site here.

No comments:

Post a Comment